Monday, May 29, 2006

Blackberry Iced Tea - Summer's Here!


Ok, so summer isn't "officially" here yet - it's not even June - but the weather is telling me otherwise, topping out at 90°F today. And when it gets that hot, there's only one thing I like better than a big glass of ice cold water and that's a big glass of ice cold blackberry iced tea. I've made this for a few years now and I really like the flaver. It's not overpoweringly berryful, but just berried enough to have a light flavor. Since we drink quite a bit of it, usually 2 quarts each day, we make it with two teabags of decaf black tea and one bag of Lipton Blackberry Flavored Black Tea. I've also made it with their Raspberry Flavored Black Tea and it was good, but I really prefer the blackberry.

I'm always amazed at how so many people have trouble making a good pitcher of tea. I see ads for Iced tea makers like these from Mr. Coffee all the time and I can't beleive people actually spend $20, $30 or even $60 on one of these contraptions when good iced tea is so simple to make. Here's my "recipe" for making my refreshing Blackberry Iced Tea.

Blackberry Iced Tea

Put 2 cups (that's about 475 ml) of water in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup and bring to a boil inthe microwave (for mine, it takes about 3 minutes).
While the water is boiling, tie 3 teabgs together - 2 decaf black teabags and one bag of Lipton Blackberry Flavored Black Tea.
When the water is boils, remove it (carefully!) from the microwave and place it on the counter.
Dunk the teabags in and out of the hot water slowly several times.
Leave the bags in the water and keep them at the botom of the measuring cup by holding them down with a teaspoon.
Let the teabags sit (steep) for awhile... I usually leave them in for 15-20 minutes or so. Longer won't hurt.
When ready, pour the contents of the measuring cup (remove the spoon!) into a 2 quart pitcher (about 1.9 liters).
Fill the pitcher with fresh cool water up to the 2 quart mark (I usually run the water over the teabags, too).
If you like your tea sweet (I do), add 1/2 cup sugar to the pitcher and stir well. Taste and add more if needed.
Pour the tea over ice and sip...

Enjoy,
Lorence

No comments: