Saturday, December 15, 2007

Chicken in Vinegar Sauce

Some years ago I bought this HUGE cookbook at a book sale they had at work, "The Complete Step-By-Step Cook Book". The thing is so big that it won't even fit on my scanner. I've made a few dishes from it over the years, including this one a couple of times just this past fall. It's pretty straight forward and has lots of garlic in it, always a plus! We all liked it very much and I'll be making it again soon. The recipe calls for sherry vinegar,which I didn't have, so I used what I did have - champagne vinegar the first time and red wine vinegar the second. Both worked just fine. I suppose I might even try rice wine vinegar next time. I served this dish with couscous the first time and egg noodles the second.

Ingredients:
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/3 cup Olive oil
12 garlic cloves, sliced, divided, 4 cloves and 8 cloves
   -(see, I told you there was lots of garlic!)
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Sherry Vinegar (or whatever you have...)
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 ½ Tablespoons chopped fresh Oregano
2 Tablespoons fresh Breadcrumbs
1 ¼ cups Chicken Stock
salt & fresh ground pepper


Directions:
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper
2. Heat the olive oil in heavy pot just large enought o hold the breasts with out crowding. Add the chicken and cook on both sides, 10 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add 4 cloves of the sliced garlic and onion. Continue to cook until the chicken os lightly browned all over, about 5 minutes more.


4. Remove the chicken to a plate and keep warm. Stir in the vinegar and bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Combine the remaining 8 cloves of garlic with a little salt, the oregano, and paprika. Pound it all together then add the bread crumbs and stir in a quarter of the chicken stock.


6. Pour the garlic-stock mixture over the chicken and add the remaining stock.

7. Cook for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender and the sauce is fairly thick.

The last part of the recipe says to "Adjust seasoning and amout of vinegar, if necessary". I never know what this means when I first make a new dish, so I do the adjustments the next time around. In the case of this dish, I didn't have to do anything.



'Twas tasty.

Enjoy,
Lorence

No comments: