Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Last Honeycrisp

When I was a kid back in the late 60's and early 70's, I loved the crisp, sweet juiciness of a great big white dotted Red Delicious apple. The disasters that go by that moniker in the stores today are mealy, dry and bland. I had all but given up on apples a couple of years ago when I discovered the Fuji. Not bad, I thought. then I tried the Jonagold and the Cameo. Pretty good. Maybe there really are good apples still to be found, I thought.

And then I came upon the Honeycrisp. Sweet. Juicy. Crisp. Bright. Tasty! A Great apple, finally!
I don't think I've ever had any fruit better than a fresh picked Honeycrisp apple.

Ever.

True, they're pricier than other apples, but I don't care. I think I even paid $3.99/lb for some at one point this past winter.
So it was during a bittersweet moment that I snapped this photo back in the middle of February. I was eating the last of the Honeycrisp apples. I was surprised to still find them in the store. I had found a small basket of them at Giant Eagle in mid-January and bought a bunch (I think I bought about 4 lbs @ $2.99/lb).

And this was the last one...it was almost an Iron Eyes Cody moment.


Goodbye my honeycrisps, 'til next fall. I will miss you.

Enjoy,
Lorence

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love these too. Maybe you can take a loan and get a few at Whole Foods. Lately, I've been going for the bagged Fuji (or Gala?) and got lucky. They've been wonderful lately. And even better, I've been eating them kid-style, sliced in wedges. Makes them better for some reason.