Monday, June 12, 2006
Chicken & Shrimp
We eat alot of shrimp and chicken, so I'm always looking for new ways to fix them.
This recipe combines the two in a nice simple and pretty quick dish that can be made in one pot (less mess - always a plus!). I like to serve it with basmati rice, lightly seasoned with rice chicken broth and either some cumin or a few cruch garlic cloves (ok, so it's two pots, but still not too much mess). It's also pretty good with this simmered white beans recipe.
Chicken & Shrimp
1 pound shrimp (26-30 size)
1 10-ounce package large mushrooms
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons capers
1. Shell the shrimp. Devein them if you like.
2. Slice mushrooms; mince shallot.
3. cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes.
4. Pound each cube to 1/8-inch thickness. (or a bit less than 0.5 cm)
5. On waxed paper, combine 2 tablespoons flour and ¾ teaspoon salt. Dip chicken pieces into flour mixture to coat.
6. In nonstick 12-inch skillet over
medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon
hot olive oil, .cook mushrooms until golden. With slotted spoon, remove mushrooms to large bowl. :
7. In same skillet over medium-high heat, in 2 teaspoons additional hot olive oil, cook shrimp and shallot until shrimp turn opaque throughout. Remove to bowl with mushrooms.
8. In same skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil, cook chicken cutlets, half at a time, 2 to 3 minutes until chicken loses its pink color throughout; remove to same bowl.
9. In same skillet over medium-high heat, into 1 tablespoon hot olive oil, stir in 1 tablespoons of flour and cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to brown slightly, about 30 seconds.
10. Gradually stir in the wine, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1 ¼ cups water.
11. Over high heat, boil the sauce unti it thickens slightly.
12. Return the contents of the bowl (chicken, shrimp, etc) to the skillet. Stir in the capers and heat through.